The Student News Site Of Central Kitsap High School

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Want to stay caught up with the latest stories?

Subscribe

* indicates required
Support Us
$0
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs.

Senior Cougs Are On The Hunt for 2024’s “Senior Assassin”

Senior Assassin has taken hold of CK seniors: it’s everyone for themselves in this cutthroat end-of-year game.
Eleeyse Greenlaw after eliminating Hunter Wallis while he was fishing. (Provided by Abi Lundblad)

CKHS class of 2024 seniors taking part in this year’s Senior Assassin are in it to win it: at the end of the tournament, only one person will be left standing. Senior Assassin, a non-school affiliated tournament whose objective is to shoot each assigned target with a water toy, requires participants to record and photograph their ‘kill’ to submit to the Senior Assassin Instagram account or it will be deemed invalid.

During the competition, participating seniors pay a $5 fee to join to contribute to the cash pool which is split between the finalists for the prize. Eliminated players were able to re-enter into the second round for $15, however after the second round, eliminated players will not be able to re-enter into the final round.

“In round 1 there are about 39 players,” said organizer Abi Lundblad. “I wouldn’t be surprised if the prize hit four or five hundred dollars.”

Porter Herbig started off the 2024 season after killing his target Lauren Heidt, who was helping Porter Prompose to Emma Lundblad.

Porter Herbig after eliminating Lauren Heidt. (Photo Provided By Abi Lundblad)

Safe zones exist within the game, including the CKHS and CKMS campus. Players may not attack while their target is working at their job, but once they are off the clock, it’s free reign. Targets in the act of driving cannot be attacked nor were attacks allowed May 30 through June 1, as major senior events such as prom occurred.

Through secretive planning and a bit of scheming, Savannah Fourier found Savannah Horsley’s residence and arrived ready to shoot.

Savannah Fourier after eliminating Savannah Horsely (Photo provided by Abbi Lundblad)

“I feel victorious.” said Fourier after killing Horsley. “Her dad for some reason told me where she was, I didn’t even ask.”

In round two players will be immune to elimination by wearing swim goggles over their eyes and a floatie or life vest. The second round will last from May 27 to June 7, only a week before seniors graduation practice and breakfast.

The game contains trickery – even friends and family cannot be trusted. Shayla Sutliff was eliminated by Sally Corder while attempting to hunt her own target down.

Shayla Sutliff after being eliminated by Sally Corder

“I won’t tell anyone who my target is and will be a lot more secretive,” said Sutliff about how she’ll protect herself in the future. “I will definitely join the second round.”

There is a ‘Bounty Rule’ valid through round 1 and 2. Players can send a bounty even if it’s not their selected target, and once the bounty is posted, it is up for grabs for any player regardless of if they are eliminated or still in the game. In order to place a bounty, the player must pay a minimum of $10; further, all transactions are private, guaranteeing anonymity for whoever makes the purchase. An eliminated player who kills on a bounty will automatically be re-entered into the game without pay. Otherwise, players still standing who finish the bounty will be paid the bounty reward.

Only hours after getting two targets out, Landon Christian was eliminated by Alexander Beach but made a radical comeback in the game by hunting the posted bounty for Rease Horne, along with Maddy Higgs and Blake Herdman.

Landon Christian after eliminating Derek Potter

“I think some people are against it because they are like ‘why are we glorifying killing other people?’ but it’s a harmless senior game,” said Lundblad. “I think it brings people together.”

Donate to Cougar Chronicle
$0
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School and help us cover our annual website hosting costs.