Deconstruction of Central Kitsap High School
Images from the recent removal of the original CKHS building after months of lingering unoccupied
March 11, 2020
Originally known as Port Washington Bay Union High School, Central Kitsap has undergone many different iterations since opening its doors in 1924. A fire in the early 1940s forced the school to reopen under new construction and a new name. Central Kitsap Middle School was erected years later in 1959, and both schools operated with limited structural additions.
Then in 2016, $220 million was allocated from the bond for buildings to oversee the construction of a combined Central Kitsap Middle and High School, among other district improvements. This measure ensured Central Kitsap would have state-of-the-art classrooms and facilities for years to come, but came at the cost of ending an era for the students who came before.