The Student News Site Of Central Kitsap High School

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Want to stay caught up with the latest stories?

Subscribe

* indicates required
Support Us
$415
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs.

Opinion: We Need Better Placement of Our 30 Minute Work Time

Advisory would be more beneficial if it was at the end of the day.
Advisory+pass+being+handed+to+history+teacher+Ms.+Szczepanski.+
Dani Crossen
Advisory pass being handed to history teacher Ms. Szczepanski.

Advisory is a 30 minute long class period in the middle of the day right before the first lunch. While this period of time does help people get work done and connect with teachers for academic support, there is a better way it could aid students: moving the time to the end of the school day. 

If advisory was at the end of the day, students would be able to do homework from all classes rather than only the first three. More work would be available and assigned to students at the end of the day as compared to the middle. While mid-day advisory is a relieving break from classes, if it is supposed to serve students by giving extra time to study or complete homework, then students should at least have some work to do. 

Additionally, it is easier for some people to work at school than it is at home; sometimes home is too loud or has too many distractions. Having 30 minutes at the end of the day to work on everything that was assigned throughout the day is more helpful than what is currently in place.

Though this change could bring a lot of good to students, it also may mess up the class schedules. If this change were to be done it would not be done this year and would take time to implement. Despite this, moving advisory to the end of the day would benefit the majority of people.

Donate to Cougar Chronicle
$415
$750
Contributed
Our Goal