Student Views on the School Paper

CKHS students opinions on the paper

Mateo Hays

A wall with all the teachers views on The Cougar Chronicle

by Mateo Hays, Reporter

At Central Kitsap High School there is a student run newspaper that is called the “The Cougar Chronicle.”  The newspaper is produced in the journalism class that is hosted by Katherine Miller and has been teaching the class for the past six years. The class has different levels and depending on what level gives you different responsibilities, some of the responsibilities for the higher levels is going over and editing articles the lower staff have written, another is publishing the story.

A poll was conducted asking about people if they read or knew about the newspaper. The poll showed that many people know about the paper, but very few actually read it.  The Chronicles staff team are currently running an Instagram page that is publishing little stories all the time about the students around the school. 

Journalism Staff working on their monthly stories (Mateo Hays)

“I had no idea the school had a paper,” said junior Ty Hatler. “Reading isn’t really something I like to do in my free time because it’s limited but if I had more I would definitely be interested in it, and learning about what goes on around the school.”

The newspaper is advertised via some papers around the school, they also sell stuff during lunch such as merch and candles. They are funded by doing some fundraisers at local restaurants. 

“The first time I heard about Cougar Chronicle was when me and some of my friends were going to a school fundraiser and it happened to be for the journalism class,” said senior Shawn Cope. “Since I learned about it I’ve read a good amount of the articles about sports and they are always fun to read.”

The poll showed that many people don’t find interest in the school newspaper. And the few people who do know about it and want to read it say that they aren’t sure where to find the website and that it’s not really out there for people to find it. Along with not being able to find the paper, several students aren’t interested in reading the paper.

Student Kylie Martin reading The Cougar Chronicle (Mateo Hays)

“I would enjoy knowing what’s going on at the school, what things are happening in students’ lives, and what’s going on in the area,” said sophomore Ryan Stroud . “My only problem is that it took me a while to find where the paper was located and I just found it recently.”

The journalism staff work each month and develop stories for all of the students around the school to be informed of what’s happening in the school and the public of the Kitsap area. They are currently trying to reach out and get more people to read the paper and maybe even join the class for next year.