The Student News Site Of Central Kitsap High School

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Cougar Chronicle

Want to stay caught up with the latest stories?

Subscribe

* indicates required
Support Us
$0
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School. Your contribution will help us cover our annual website hosting costs.

CK Choir Hosts Annual Senior Night

Choir seniors celebrated the end of their high school choir career in a recital on Thursday, May 23, 2024.
    Rosalie Johnson
    Loved ones leave flower bouquets, balloons, treats, and other gifts to celebrate the performers after the show.

*This story is a collaborative project: Rosalie Johnson wrote the article and Sarah Dowell produced the video.

A dim stage, illuminated by colorful spotlights and adorned with a grand piano and a vase of orange roses, hosted the 22 seniors of CK Choir as they performed their own musical selections in the 2024 Senior Recital. A culmination of the choir members’ dedication to improvement, seniors were given the opportunity to pick a song to perform that represents their choral journey. 

“These seniors sing a song that speaks to them and thus, speaks to you,” said CK Choir director Alicia Rodenko to audience members in her opening remarks.

Seniors sang a diverse array of songs, featuring pieces from musicals and films both older and more recent alike, including “I Dreamed a Dream” from the globally-renowned West End musical “Les Miserables,” “Ex-Wives” from the Broadway musical “Six,” and “What Was I Made For?” from the 2023 movie “Barbie.” In addition to performing pieces that showcased passion for musical theater, seniors performed pieces that captivated the audience with emotionally profound sentiments: from “Landslide” by Fleetwood Mac to “Bittersweet” by Sabrina Sterling to “Vienna” by Billy Joel, seniors took the opportunity to musically express gratitude, self-belief, and the sorrow that comes with moving on.

The choir also took advantage of the technological advancements of the CK Performing Arts Center (CKPAC) in their end-of-year celebration. Seniors had the opportunity to choose their own background to display behind them as they performed, selecting photos or videos that represented their relationship with their musical selection. They expressed their creativity through not only their music, but also through producing video collages of their high school experience or stitching past videos of their younger selves singing the song they performed at the recital.

Upon recalling the class of 2024’s high school experience, it is hard to not think of how COVID shaped the lives and entrances to high school. Though Rodenko wants to move forward and work to heal from the pain it caused, she finds it necessary to consider and reflect on its stark influence.

“It’s really hard to get to know people through your screens,” Rodenko said about these seniors’ introductions that occurred through Google Meet. “They would keep cameras off, or I would see the inside of  bedrooms…but it was really, really cool how they shared a piece of their lives through that really vulnerable time. We went through quite a bit together.”

Under these unprecedented and isolating circumstances, Rodenko observed various dynamics within the group, creating different relationships between students and choir. Despite the struggle or hesitation COVID caused, four years later, bonds formed in the choir room have been entirely unique, creating what Rodenko and the students define as magic.

“Some of them, there was a bit of a distance and detachment from online school,” Rodenko said. “Maybe they started in choir and then left for a little while because online choir was stupid, and then they came back and I got to learn these new people, some of them just this year. And I wouldn’t have it any other way. The magic you see on this stage, the people you have been able to share with me, thank you so incredibly much.”

Donate to Cougar Chronicle
    $0
    $750
    Contributed
    Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Central Kitsap High School and help us cover our annual website hosting costs.