Cougar Chronicle

Peer Pressure

Back to Article
Back to Article

Peer Pressure

Alcohol is one of the most common issues related to peer pressure

Ryley Just

Ryley Just

Ryley Just

by Ryley Just, Contributor

High school is bound to have peer pressure associated with it. Students have to know how to avoid peer pressure and what they can do to prevent it. Some ways to can help prevent peer pressure are having a good friend group, listening to yourself in pressure situations, planning ahead for certain situations etc.

Peer pressure can occur at any moment, a party or even at school. Andrew Zetty, a senior, has a plethora of chances to go out and adventure since he can drive. Some people can automatically say no and others have a harder time resisting. Zetty refuses peer pressure because he doesn’t care what others think. Some of the most common ideas of peer pressure are smoking, drinking and other adult associated ideas. Zetty thinks that most peer pressure is centered around juuling or drinking.

Freshman Sierra Richmond is dealing with her first year of high school, new friends and experiences, both good and bad. Peer pressure is one of those negative experiences and since Richmond is religious, there is even more pressure. Sierra says, “There are many topics for peer pressure but a few I have to deal with constantly are pressure to cheat on tests and gossiping about others. There are also good types of peer pressure like getting someone out of their comfort zone and going out to a movie or running for ASB.” Richmond occasionally hears about peer pressure and what the effects of it are. Richmond thinks, “I do have to deal with peer pressure quite often; both positive and negative peer pressure.”

Getting help with peer pressure starts with talking to a trusted adult if any concerns arise. According to AACAP’s website, there are many steps to take to avoid peer pressure. Freshman Kalai Pasi has come up with some ways to avoid giving in, he said, “I do not usually get pressured by peers to do anything.” Pasi does extra-curricular activities which makes it easier for people to pressure him. Pasi says, “I ignore the conversation about certain subjects and walk away.”

People are often worrying about fitting in, so they choose to do what others tell them to, such as wearing the ‘popular’ clothes, juuling or drinking. Peer pressure has taken over students and it can make them do or try things that normally they wouldn’t have.

About the Writer
Ryley Just, Contributor

Ryley Just, a freshman reporter for the Cougar Chronicle, chose to be in this class because she enjoys to write and her older sister told her nice things...

• Peer Pressure

Features

CK Sports Med Students Leave State Competition With Powerful Message and Two Awards

• Peer Pressure

Cougar Communications

Senior News–Important Dates and Information

• Peer Pressure

News

Out With Old, In With The New

• Peer Pressure

News

The Limits of Free Speech

• Peer Pressure

News

Required Reading in High School

• Peer Pressure

News

Yankee Doodle Breach Of Privacy

• Peer Pressure

News

Are the Web Filters at CKHS Too Restrictive?

• Peer Pressure

News

The Highs and Lows of Self Esteem

• Peer Pressure

News

Nicotine Situation At CK High

• Peer Pressure

News

High School and Beyond

The Student News Site Of Central Kitsap High School